Trump revises Pakistan-India war jet losses to 11, hails PM Shehbaz and Field Marshal Asim Munir
Pakistan
Donald Trump praises PM Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Asim Munir at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting in Washington, revising the tally of jets shot down in the Pakistan-India conflict to 11.
WASHINGTON (Dunya News) – US President Donald Trump on Thursday praised Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Chief of Defence Forces and Chief of the Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir during the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace in Washington.
Speaking at the opening session held at the United States Institute of Peace, Trump described Munir as a “tough, good fighter” and said of the Pakistani premier: “I like this man of Pakistan.”
The high-level gathering, focused on ending the war in Gaza and overseeing post-conflict reconstruction, brought together representatives from more than 45 countries, including Saudi Arabia, Indonesia and Azerbaijan.
Pakistan-India war
During his address, Trump referred to last year’s Pakistan-India military confrontation, describing it as a rapidly escalating crisis between two nuclear-armed neighbours. He said he became acquainted with Shehbaz Sharif and Field Marshal Munir at a time “when there was some fighting going on”.
The conflict was triggered by a deadly attack on tourists in Pahalgam in Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir, which killed 26 men. New Delhi alleged Pakistani involvement, a charge Islamabad denied, offering instead to participate in a neutral investigation.
The military standoff marked the most serious escalation between the two countries in decades. According to Pakistani officials, seven Indian fighter jets, including three Rafale aircraft, and dozens of drones were shot down during the clashes. Hostilities lasted at least 87 hours before a ceasefire was announced on May 10, brokered by the United States.
Trump reiterated his claim that Washington played a decisive role in halting the conflict. He said he warned Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi that heavy tariffs, including a proposed 200 percent levy, would be imposed if the fighting did not stop.
President Trump Participates in the Board of Peace Event https://t.co/F4CWWpi5kg
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) February 19, 2026
The US president also revised his earlier estimate of aerial losses during the conflict, stating that “11 very expensive” jets were shot down in total.
He further recalled remarks by Shehbaz Sharif crediting him with helping prevent wider devastation, suggesting that millions of lives could have been at risk had the conflict continued.
Gaza Board of Peace
The Board of Peace meeting centred on efforts to stabilise Gaza following months of war. The summit comes nearly three months after the UN Security Council approved a US-backed ceasefire plan granting the board a two-year mandate to supervise demilitarisation and reconstruction in the territory.
Under the truce terms, Israeli forces withdrew to positions behind a designated yellow line but remain in control of more than half of Gaza. Key unresolved issues include the disarmament of Hamas, a full Israeli withdrawal, the scale of rebuilding, and sustained humanitarian access.
Ahead of the session, Trump announced that board members had pledged $5 billion, approximately £3.7 billion, towards reconstruction. The figure represents a fraction of the estimated $70 billion, or £52 billion, required to rebuild Gaza after two years of conflict.
PM Shehbaz Sharif joins world leaders as Trump holds first Gaza Board of Peace meeting
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif arrived in Washington on a three-day official visit at Trump’s invitation to attend the inaugural session. He is scheduled to address the forum and hold meetings with senior US officials and counterparts from participating nations as diplomatic efforts continue to shape the post-war framework for Gaza.